A Sustainable Business
We believe being carbon neutral is just the beginning.
Every business has a duty of care to minimise its impact on the environment, which is why the Lanchester group of companies has worked tirelessly over the last decade to ensure sustainability is at our core.
There is, unfortunately, no ‘one size fits all’ solution when it comes to sustainability and so we’ve invested considerably to identify which changes we can make to lessen our effect on our planet.
Our business’ greatest opportunity to make a change is through minimising our reliance on fossil fuels. As such, we’ve invested over £13million in renewable heat and energy generation at our sites across the North East of England and today our business is powered almost completely by renewable wind and solar energy.
Our three wind turbines produce around 4 million kWh (kilowatt hours) of clean, renewable electricity per year. We use around 31% of this electricity to run operations at our Greencroft Estate (including Lanchester Wines and Greencroft Bottling) .
The remaining electricity – enough to power 1000 three-bedroom homes – feeding into the National Grid for use within our local community.
We have a 41 kilowatt solar array on the roof of Lanchester Wines’ office complex, which is calculated to produce enough clean electricity to cover our day-to-day use. The chemical reactions which occur within solar panels are more efficient at cooler temperatures so County Durham’s bright and sunny, yet rather chilly, weather is perfect for our solar panels.
We are installing 3 Megawatts of solar panels on the roof of Greencroft Two which will create around 2.9m kilowatt hours of electricity per year.
The roof of Bon Bon’s home in York has been fitted with a 100kW array of monocrystalline solar panels which should generate about 80,000kWh (kilowatt-hours) of electricity per year. The roof also has an additional 300mm of insulation to improve the thermal efficiency of the building, which is heated by a biomass boiler.
Heat from Geothermal Energy
As a business, we continue to make choices about our long-term sustainability which go above and beyond both legislation and common practice. We are pioneering world-changing heat pump technology using water from disused mines at our warehouses in Gateshead which provide storage for Lanchester Wines and the home of Spicers of Hythe.
- Our x2 Open Loop Water Source Heat Pumps have a combined capacity of 4mW (4 million Watts) of heat
- We are currently heating 33,445m2 (360,000 ft2) of warehouse space, maintaining an ambient temperature perfect for storage of wine
This technology not only enables our customers to further reduce their carbon footprint but also revolutionises how clean technology may be used in former mining areas across the world.
Looking to the Future
We’re currently building Greencroft Two, our new home for Greencroft Bottling. We’re investing an additional £4.8million in sustainable practices at Greencroft Two. Our site is already powered by renewable wind energy thanks to our on-site wind turbines and we’ve added 3 Megawatts solar array on the roof which will create around 2.9m Kilowatt hours of electricity per year. The state-of-the-art, recyclable roof and wall insulation will make Greencroft Bottling’s new home one of the most thermally
efficient buildings in the UK.
We’ve even adjusted the gradient of Greencroft Two’s roof from 8% to 4% to make the most of the sun on both the south and north sides.
When Greencroft Two is complete, it is estimated that, overall (solar and existing on-site wind turbines combined), the business will generate over 8 million Kilowatt hours per year of clean, renewable energy.
We understand saving energy is just as important as generating it and have implemented a number of practices across our estate:
- LED and low-energy lighting projects now cover our lighting requirements
- Movement-sensitive lighting areas have been installed throughout company-owned buildings to establish the most effective solution for our operations
- Combined, this has resulted in around £40,000 savings a year
- Over 18 580 m2 (200,000 ft2) of additional 240mm roof insulation (along with the existing 120mm) totalling 360mm
- Warehouse roofs double or tripled skinned (depending on the property)
- These provide year-round protection from extremes of temperatures, negating the need for additional heating and cooling
- Our windows are high tech glass which helps us to control the temperature, keeping us cool in summer and warm in winter
- We heat and cool the building using air source heat pumps which extract the heat from the air outside
- Our lighting is power-saving and automatic, turning itself off when a room is not in use, thus conserving energy